The average adult horse can drink up to 10 gallons of water every day. As a horse owner, it’s your responsibility to ensure that your animal has an abundant and easily accessible supply of fresh, clean drinking water at all times.
Spring, summer, winter, or fall, horses require plenty of water during all seasons. Proper fluid intake keeps horses healthy, aids in their digestion, and helps them stay in peak physical condition for work and performance.
Unfortunately, when a horse does not get enough water, he can develop colic. Colic—or abdominal pain— remains one of the leading causes of death in horses. Researchers at the University of California, Davis, found that 11 out of every 100 horses (or more than 10%) will develop colic per year. Left untreated, colic can be deadly.
Though there are several types of colic, most horses display the following symptoms:
- Pawing at or rolling on the ground
- Inability to defecate
- Severe sweating
- Dark mucous membranes
- Lack of interest in eating
If you suspect your horse has colic, you should treat it as an emergency and immediately call your veterinarian.
Nelson Manufacturing makes it easy for you to provide water to reduce the risk of this life-threatening problem.
Our automatic horse waterers mean you no longer have to fill pails throughout the day or break up ice during the cold winter months. We offer a wide selection of automatic horse waterers to fit every budget, every need, and every space. You’ll appreciate all the advantages of these waterers, including:
- Easy installation and easy access. You can install them on a fence line, in pastures, in stalls, in concrete pipes or on concrete pads.
- Simple maintenance. The stainless steel drinking bowls can easily be removed and cleaned by hand. In fact, cleaning a bowl takes less than 30 seconds.
- Smooth, round, animal-friendly design.
- Rust-free, maintenance-free construction.
- Actuated water valve to provide a steady stream of fresh drinking water.
- Monitoring capabilities that let you see exactly how much water your horse is drinking.
- Electric heating that keeps water fresh even during the most frigid winters. Our heaters carry a three-year guarantee.
- Easy water shut-off for cleaning or to prevent an overheated horse from drinking.
Help protect your horse’s health and help make your life easier. Click here to receive a free quote from Nelson today.